- "I came with no expectations and even less experience of specifically working on my voice. What a relevation a perfect... Read more
- "I have never learned so much in one week before! About myself, about my voice, about the magic of words... Read more
- "I had an 'inkling in my gut' to come here. Like an odyssey. And that inkling turned out to be... Read more
- "...a wonderful artistic voice centre!...a supportive and inspiring environment...Kristin - you have nurtuted and challenged me. Rena- fantastic food!!...such care... Read more
- "I have loved the journey to Orkney, and travelling the distance has opened up possibilities for an inner journey. Nothing... Read more
- "In just four days I have changed shape, inside and out. My voice feels and sounds stronger and more me,... Read more
- "I'm nearly 50 now, have been a professional voice-over artist for more than 20 years and have enjoyed significant success,... Read more
- "I have learned I can work in a group of thirteen people and like all of them! - C.H.... Read more
- "I have loved the experience of becoming more connected with my body, my breath, my self. I know I will... Read more
- "I have had a wonderful time on this course - Kristin is a ninja of voice...C.M.... Read more
- "Just great. Exploration, discovery, fun; made me feel so welcome by everyone;stretched in every way - I can't wait to... Read more
- "Such a wonderful week of vocal discovery, body awareness, breath galore and great company - the joy, the laughter, the... Read more
- "Well, what an experience! Never to be forgotten. It was an honour and a pleasure to experience the Introductory Voice... Read more
- "It's my first time in this Scottish land and the first time I spoke Shakespeare in English - my favourite... Read more
- "Thank you so much, Kristin. I have a new relationship with myself: with my sacrum, vertebrae, whole spine: my breath!... Read more
- "Now winter nights enlarge... come and work with Kristin on Shakespeare's Sonnet, Speeches and Scenes and your nights will be... Read more
- "I got drunk on the words. I ate them. I felt them fill my belly and nourish my body. Thank... Read more
- "This Shakespeare week was magical. Thank you from the bottom of heart, from my spine, nervous system and brain for... Read more
- "The studio is beautiful - loved doing warm-ups and sonnets in the face of nature, the angry skies, the pounding... Read more
- "You have had a profound impact of my work as a teacher and director, and on my relationship to language... Read more
- "This has been a 25-year journey to Shakespeare. It was everything I could have hoped for - and more. To... Read more
- "Being in Orkney adds such a special flavour - re-connected me to the nature that's so alive in Shakespeare's plays.... Read more
- "This week was most needed as I prepare to audition for Graduate programs in the USA. My classmates were amazingly... Read more
- "Dear Kristin, Thank you for sharing your passion and reinvigorating our craft. Your tenacity and vigor has transformed our practice... Read more
- " You and your work has given me a language and a confidence to trust my perception, my impulses, my self... Read more
- " I go through the warm up before rehearsing and performing,I use 'Devices' for text work to approach new text -... Read more
- "The great irony is that I have found my voice ... and can't find the words to voice a response.... Read more
Who is Kristin Linklater?
Kristin Linklater is a world-renowned teacher of voice production who has pursued a highly successful academic and theatrical career in the United States and Europe for the past fifty years. She is one of the most recognised names in the field of voice production for actors having published two leading textbooks, Freeing the Natural Voice: Imagery and Art in the Practice of Voice and Text (1976; revised edition 2006) and Freeing Shakespeare’s Voice: The Actor’s Guide to Talking the Text (1992) which have sold over 150,000 copies and been translated into six languages. She is in great demand as a public speaker and workshop leader, so much so that for the past decade Kristin has delivered an extensive calendar of training events in the...
-- Mary Irwin, Head of Voice and Speech, University of North Carolina School of the Arts
...USA, Germany, Italy, Poland, Belgium, Australia, Finland, Sweden, Denmark, the UK, Mexico. Kristin grew up in the Orkney Islands off the north coast of Scotland. She was educated in England and trained as an actress and teacher at the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art. In 1963 she moved to the United States. She offered an innovative approach to voice training for actors and was immediately asked to work with classical and experimental theatre companies in addition to actor-training programs. In the 1960s and 70s she was Master Teacher of Voice in the Graduate Theatre Program at New York University and in 1978 she moved to Massachusetts where she co-founded Shakespeare & Company and...
-- Shakespeare - Coriolanus
...spent the next 12 years teaching and acting with this pioneering company. From 1990-1996 Kristin was Professor of Theatre at Emerson College in Boston where she created The Company of Women, an all-female Shakespeare Company. Since 1997 Kristin has been Professor of Theatre at Columbia University, New York teaching voice, text and Shakespeare. Having taught her last semester in New York in 2013, Kristin now teaches permanently at her purpose built private voice centre in the magical islands of Orkney, Scotland. She also guest lectures around the world and offers a limited number of workshops globally.
-- Shakespeare - Henry VI
People think of technique as doing things, but a lot of technique is undoing.
-- Kristin Linklater